How To Butterfly A Thick Filet Mignon Steak
If you have a thick steak and you want your steak medium or medium well, then you may want to butterfly it first. If the chain muscle is still attached, you can make a lovely heart shape with the steak.
Either cut will work with the following recipemedallions with or without the chain, or heart-shaped butterflied.
Chefs Method: White Wine Sauce Recipe
Here is a versatile primer you can use to make many different kinds of dishes with a wine or spirit sauce that ties in all the components.
Youll find this method can be used to make some French, Italian and other Mediterranean-style dishes. It wont make you every sauce out there, but if youre looking for a good foundation with endless possibilities, this is the primer for you!
This primer will produce enough sauce for 3-4 servings. Simply double all measurements to make 6-8 servings.
Incredible Red Wine Sauce For Steak
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This is an incredible Red Wine Sauce for Steak that can be made in less than 20 minutes! Whether you call it red wine jus or red wine reduction, its the perfect enhancement to your steak dinner!
This red wine jus requires just three ingredients and can even be prepared in advance. Enjoy it with a glass of the same red wine you choose to cook with an elegant meal for any night of the week.
We try to make dinner at home feel like special occasions sometimes, whether were entertaining or just enjoying a date night in. Sometimes its homemade pasta, but we often do a steak night because its so flexible and like were dining out on the town.
Nothing makes a steak feel more special than an enhancement. I rarely order a steak off the menu without adding one. Use my homemade steak seasoning and then add one little teaspoon of sauce for so much flavor.
I love entertaining, and especially having friends over for dinner. We try to host a dinner party every couple of months, and of course, this recipe is on the menu for dinner this month.
Sometimes hosting a dinner party can be overwhelming, but these Tips for Hosting a Dinner Party will make it all so easy!
You May Like: How To Make Tiki Torches Out Of Wine Bottles
Madeira Sauce Au Poivre And With Mushrooms
Other classic Madeira sauce presentations are made with peppercorns and mushrooms, sometimes both:
- To make the au poivre sauce, add 3/4 teaspoon of cracked black peppercorns to the demi-glace when you place it in the pan to heat it up and reduce. Follow the rest of the recipe as is.
- To make Madeira sauce with mushrooms, thinly slice 3/4 pound of cremini mushrooms and cook them briefly in a non-stick pan, about 3 minutes. Add the cooked mushrooms to the demi-glace when you place it in the pan to heat it up and reduce. Follow the rest of the recipe as is.
How To Prepare Filet Mignon Steaks From A Beef Tenderloin
To prepare filet mignon, either you are going to buy filet mignon steaks already prepped, or a large beef tenderloin, from which you cut the steaks.
If you are cutting steaks from a whole tenderloin, first decide if you are going to keep the chain muscle or not. The chain muscle is a smaller muscle that runs along the tenderloin.
To make a classic filet mignon medallion shape, most people trim way this piece, but it is still part of the tenderloin cut and tastes great, although not quite as tender as the rest of the tenderloin, so keep it if you want. The steak we have prepared here includes the chain.
Trim away the ends of the tenderloin and cut away any silver skin. The thicker end of the tenderloin is best for filet mignon medallions. As you get closer to the thin end, that part can be folded and tied for a roast.
Think about how well done you would like your steaks and how thick they are. If you want a thick steak and you like your steak rare, or medium rare, you’re in luck, this will be easy.
Cut the tenderloin into 1-inch to 2 inch-wide steaks.
You May Like: Making Glass Bottles Into Cups
How To Make White Wine Sauce
This article was co-authored by wikiHow Staff. Our trained team of editors and researchers validate articles for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow’s Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards.wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. In this case, 85% of readers who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. This article has been viewed 81,469 times.Learn more…
White wine forms the base of many sauces that go well with seafood, chicken, and pasta, and the simplicity of the sauce makes it easy to tweak to your preferences. There are generally two types of white wine sauce: a light, thinner sauce made with butter and chicken stock and a richer, dense sauce that uses cream and flour. Both sauces require a process known as “reduction,” which cooks the liquids together for 5-10 minutes heat to concentrate their flavors.
These recipes make enough sauce for 4 people.
How To Make Bordelaise Sauce In Advance
If you are holding the sauce for later, lightly rub about 1 teaspoon of cold butter across the hot surface of the sauce to prevent a skin from forming. Alternatively, lay a piece of greaseproof parchment paper cut to the size of the pan onto the surface of the sauce. When ready to use, reheat it gently in a small saucepan.
Also Check: What Pairs Well With Rose Wine
Hunter Valley Wines To Tryyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
As one of Australia’s oldest and premier wine regions, some of the nation’s most innovative wines are created from this truly unique region. The Hunter Valley Wine Show celebrates wines that uphold these attributes as one of Australia’s leading wine shows.
James Halliday Australian Wine Companion
What’s The Difference Between White Sauce And Alfredo
While the two sauces look the same, there is a noticeable difference in taste. Alfredo sauce typically doesn’t begin with the roux, preferring to skip the flour and instead heating butter and cream. It also includes Parmesan cheese and parsley for flavor. In comparison, white sauce is very basic and bland but offers lots of potential for a variety of flavors and uses. This cream sauce variation is a good alternative to Alfredo for pasta. Simply season it as desired.
Recommended Reading: Wine With Low Calories
Can White Sauce Be Made In Advance
White sauce is typically best when made right before it’s needed. However, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in a sealed container. Heat it up gently before use and stir in 1 tablespoon at a time of milk or cream if it’s too thick. It can also be frozen in a sealed container for up to 6 months.
Choose Your Shortcut Demi
Here are a few options for making the most of your cooking time when using shortcuts for making the demi-glace:
- Making the stock is the most time-consuming part of making a demi-glace. Using store-bought stock means your stock will have less body and intense flavor than homemade stock, but it also won’t gel when chilled. When using pre-made stock, go for the organic types, without preservatives or additives, and check the sodium content, as many have too much salt and can alter the final flavor of your sauce.
- Another option is to use a sauce base. Appropriately referred to as “convenience products,” these preparations are even used in restaurants to make their demi-glace. If baking, simmering, and straining bones and vegetables for hours to make a rich stock isn’t in your time budget, use these products. Simply add water to these sauce bases and you have instant demi-glace. It’s actually a reasonable compromise for cooks who don’t have the skills or time to go the classic route.
You May Like: Is All Wine Gluten Free
Feast On These Incredible Evansville Area Restaurants New Year’s Eve Menusyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
Our area’s classiest restaurants are gearing up to offer you the most memorable dinner of the year. Here are six that will practically guarantee you an ecstatic 2022. Note that menus might be subject to change depending on the availability and quality of ingredients.
Evansville Courier & Press
How To Make A White Wine Sauce: Tips
- Saute the garlic and shallot: only 1 minute! Heres a way to make your entire kitchen smell divine! Melt the butter and saute the aromatics. Watch it carefully: you dont want them to brown! Just enough to be fragrant and transparent.
- Add flour: like a quick roux! The flour acts as a thickener. Its like a quick version of a roux, a way to thicken creamy sauces like in our Easy Cream Sauce.
- Simmer with the wine and cream for 3 minutes.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and whisk the sauce until it melts.
Don’t Miss: Is All Red Wine Gluten Free
Basic Red Wine Reduction Sauce Recipe
- Prep Time:5 minutes
- Cook Time:10 to 15 minutes
- Level of Difficulty:Easy
- olive oil, for coating the pan
- 1/4cupshallots, minced
- 1tablespoonrosemary, chopped, optional
*if you would like a smoother sauce you can strain the shallots out at this point then return to the pan and add the butter and rosemary.
You Might Also Like
Roast Beef Tenderloin With Red Wine Sauce
This beef tenderloin with a rich red wine sauce is a true show-stopper. Perfect for a special occasion!
Nothing says holiday dinner like a show-stopping roast, and I love this combination of sear-roasted beef tenderloin with a deeply flavored red wine sauce. Not only is it elegant, but its also simple to make. The sauce can be made mostly in advance so theres very little fussing at the last minute and beef tenderloin, believe it or not, is one of the easiest things in the world to cook.
If youre thinking, Beef tenderloin is such an expensive cut. What if I overcook it? How will I know when its done? I promise you: you dont need to be an experienced cook to make a perfect beef tenderloin. All you need is a meat thermometer. The one I use has a leave-in probe and remote monitor , so I know when the roast is done without ever even opening my oven. Theres no poking, cutting, peeking, or guesswork involved.
You May Like: Lowest Calorie Wine To Drink
The Easy Way To Turn Red Wine Into A Rich Sauce
Ever wonder what to do with leftover wine? That is, if you have any. This red wine reduction sauce is the perfect way for oenophiles of all levels to use up wine from last night or to put that just-opened bottle to use for something besides sipping. Half a cup of wine can be reduced into a rich sauce for two. This one is simple and fast to make. You can easily drizzle it over a filet or pork chops, or even use it as a base to braise short ribs. No need for culinary school to achieve success here, even the kitchen rookie can accomplish this rich sauce.
The 7/20: If you have these items in your arsenal, recipes categorized by 7/20 can be made with 7 or fewer additional ingredients in only 20 minutes of active cooking time.
What Is Filet Mignon
Filet mignon is a steak cut from the tenderloin, a missile shaped muscle which lays beneath the ribs, right along the backbone.
The tenderloin muscle is called “tenderloin” because it is just that, tender. It doesn’t get the exercise that would make it tough, like a shank or shoulder. It is also relatively lean.
You May Like: Can You Ship Liquor To North Carolina
Sugar In Red Wine Sauce
Conservative chefs will tell you sugar is a no-no. But if it is your opinion that the sauce you are making requires a little more sweetness, add a pinch of sugar. Or, if you are also looking for a bit more acidity, a dash of balsam vinegar. However, tread carefully. You dont want to end up with the exaggerated sweetness often found in processed foods.
Whats The Best White Wine To Cook With
There are a few types of white wines that will be perfect in this pasta dish.
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Pinot Grigio
The goal is to choose a crisp, dry white wine that wont overpower the delicate flavors of whatever youre pairing the sauce with be it chicken, seafood, or veggies. Dont choose a sweet wine like Riesling or something similar!
If you dont drink white wine or simply dont want to purchase a bottle to make this dish, I have found that white cooking wine works equally as well.
However, I like to give myself an excuse to have a glass or two, so I almost always use a Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay.
You May Like: Best Stella Rose Wine
White Wine Sauce Ingredients
- Olive Oil High quality extra virgin olive oil adds a hint of flavor.
- Minced Garlic You can freshly mince, but I just use minced garlic purchased in the produce aisle of the grocery store. Youll never notice the difference and its one of my favorite shortcuts.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes Adds a little heat to this simple sauce.
- Salt I like to use salt from a grinder for thick flakes, but table salt works well, too.
- Pepper Fresh ground black pepper adds beautiful thick flakes and a subtle spicy flavor.
- Butter The base for this delicious sauce. Salted or unsalted, your choice.
- White Wine Use your favorite crisp white wine or white cooking wine.
Red Wine Onion Gravy Ingredients
- Red Wine You wont need a huge amount of this. I tend to buy the mini bottles from the supermarket as Im not a huge drinker.
- Onion I tend to use red onion but white will work just as well. I recommend slicing into thin strips to keep a bit of texture, as opposed to finely dicing.
- Butter To fry the onions and create a roux to thicken the gravy.
- Flour Helps thicken the gravy by creating a roux
- Beef Stock This makes up the bulk of the gravy so try and get a good quality stock.
- Worcestershire Sauce Deepens the flavour.
- Red Currant Jelly Adds a touch of sweetness to compliment the caramelized onions.
Recommended Reading: How Many Carbohydrates In Wine
Lets Make Beef Wellington With Red Wine Sauce
First the Beef Wellington
Now for the Red Wine Sauce
Only Real Veal Stock I
A classic red wine sauce contains veal stock and the quality of the stock makes a big difference. For full control, make it yourself. You will find an excellent recipe here.
With real stock made from the bones of veal you will get the wonderful, viscous texture that you are looking for without having to add thickening in one form or another. Reduce the stock thoroughly before adding it to the sauce.
You May Like: Best Low Sugar Wine
White Wine Pasta Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The best White Wine Pasta Sauce recipe is so easy to make with just 5 simple ingredients. Light, full of flavor and absolutely irresistible this white wine sauce is ready to enjoy in just 15 minutes!
If you need a quick and easy dinner idea that your whole family will enjoy, this white wine sauce served over pasta is the recipe for you! Its easy enough for a weeknight meal, yet elegant and flavorful enough for entertaining. Its one of those recipes you totally need in your back pocket! Trust me, it will come in handy when you cant think of what to make for dinner and want something tasty and on the table in a flash.
The best thing about this recipe is that it takes about 15 minutes to make! Top it with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and youll have a restaurant-quality dish that everyone will be begging for. Lets get to the details!