Big Hammer Wines Ensures You Get The Best Price For Your Wine Collection
Big Hammer is the #1 online wine retailer in California. Our passionate customers want unique, special and limited wines. Trust us to properly evaluate your collection so you earn more.
Unlike a wine auction, we provide estimates upfront, with no hidden fees or charges. Once your wine has been appraised and verified, you will be paid for the entire collection. No waiting for the wine to sell.
We make it easy and simple for you with a quick turnaround. Our unsurpassed network of buyers means a ready market. And our direct to consumer business model ensures sellers get better returns.
Free Collection Or Transfer
After receiving a confirmed quotation and accepting an offer , we will assist you in organising the transfer or collection of the agreed wines into our Bonded Warehouse account at LCB Vinothèque so that we can carry out a Condition Report. We cover the costs and your wine is fully insured during this process.
Releasing: Check with storage provider
Collection or Transfer: 3 5 Days
How To Start An Online Wine Selling Business
Now, to answer the million-dollar question, how to sell wine online? Or rather, how to start a wine business that sells online?
We discussed two business models that describe the online wine selling approach. Now, it is time to understand in detail how you would build such a platform and an online wine selling brand.
Don’t Miss: Is Red Wine Vinegar Keto
Start Building A Network
Building momentum with your business relies on having people know about it. In order for people to know about your products, they often need to see them in a context theyâre familiar with.
Common contexts for buyers include their existing shopping outlets, their circle of friends, and people who influence them. By creating business relationships that can reach each of these areas, youâll be in a position to create real traction for your business.
There are at least three types of networks you should build:
- Leads and customers. Individuals who are interested in your business are what will generate engagement and sales. You should make customer satisfaction and delivering value a prominent focus of your weekly work.
- Partnerships and those you can influence. If youâre friends with the owner of another food business, discuss the potential of a partnership. Offering buyers complementary products is a great way to introduce customers from both audiences to each otherâs business.
- Influencers who can act on behalf of your business. Influencer marketing is a fast-growing trend in the business world and for good reason. People are more likely to buy from those they trust, and people trust those they like. Look for opportunities to get your product in the hands of influencers who will be both honest and bold.
Build The App Platform
An important task should run parallel as you complete the rest of the steps mentioned here. That task is to build the alcohol delivery app platform that you are working on launching. Unless you have sufficient knowledge to develop an app, you cant build it yourself, and you dont even need to build the platform personally.
Find the best alcohol delivery app development firm with the experience and knowledge to develop such a mobile app. App development from scratch may seem a costly investment, especially when you havent even launched your business yet.
There is a way to build your alcohol delivery app without shelling out a significant amount of capital. You can go for the clone script alcohol app solution where app development companies like aPurple offer a fully customizable solution from the apps design to features and much more.
Also Check: List Of Gluten Free Wines
How To Sell Rare Wine
Selling rare wine is best done by going through an auction house or broker. This is because rare wines should be evaluated and priced by professionals to ensure you make a profit. They also take most of the risk on themselves, so you’ll be protected if something goes wrong.
Reach out to experienced companies first to get a rough valuation of your wine or collection. Factor in seller’s fees as well, then pick whoever you feel will do the best job of making you money. Then sit back, and wait for them to do the hard work.
Has Similar Wine Sold At Auction Recently
Check an auction price database, such as the one here at WineSpectator.com. If your wines have a track record for auction sales, theres a good chance that reputable auction houses will be interested in them. Think youve got an exceptional bottle but theres no price history? Of getting such a wine accepted into an auction, Mark Smoler at Hart Davis Hart says it depends highly on the wine: It is improbable but not impossible. For online auctions or retail consignments, the circle of wines accepted is wider, but still somewhat limited. Do some research on the prospective outlets current inventory to see if they carry similar wines? If your bottles dont show up in your search, it doesnt mean they wont be accepted, but your odds are longer.
Don’t Miss: Sell Vintage Wine
Selling Others Wine On Your Platform The Platform Is Your Product
If you are more interested in the business and less in making your own wine, this is the perfect business model. Here, your prime clients are the alcohol selling brands, and the product you sell them is the platform for them to sell their wine offerings.
Imagine an eCommerce app like Amazon for alcohol that is what you are providing. The development process is the same you find the best web and app development company to build your brands digital side. Then you create and offer merchant accounts to the alcohol product sellers, and they list out their products, images, description, and prices.
You can offer the delivery service, or you can let the merchants deliver themselves. For the platform you provide them to sell, you earn a commission from every order made over your alcohol app platform.
Shipping Via Personal Sales
Furthermore, its important to note that it is illegal in all states for a consumer to personally ship wine to someone else. If you were hoping to sell wine on eBay, you should know that its illegal except for pre-approved sellers. And listing alcohol on Craigslist is forbidden, with no exceptions.
Recommended Reading: Skinnygirl Wine Calories Per Bottle
Options For Selling Your Wine Collection
There are many ways to sell a wine cellar from a live auction to eBay. You want to make the most money you can. But you also want to deal with someone you can trust.
Traditionally, auctions were the place to sell fine wine. Some collectors sold single bottles while others sold entire collections. Today you can:
- Sell an entire collection to one buyer such as an auction house, a broker or a private individual. This might be simple, taking less time and effort on your part, but it can be costly.
- Sell individual bottles. This takes a lot of time and effort for very uncertain returns. You can sell individual bottles through local shops or online. Beware though that you are following local liquor laws. Typically, you must be licensed by the state and federal government to sell alcohol.
- Sell to a local wine shop. Some shops will take collections only of a certain size or a certain type of wine. This option can also take a lot of time and effort. You may not get the results you want.
- Sell via social media secret groups or through a local wine club. These take time to build relationships and gain access to buyers. Trust can be an issue here.
- Find a reputable and knowledgeable buyer. Someone who will give you their full personal attention. They will take control of the entire process, making it quick and easy for you.
Time To Start An Online Alcohol Business
We began this blog with the question, Are you looking for the best guide on how to start an online wine business in 2021? I believe your quest for the best business guide has found its home.
A word of advice the most important element of an online wine sales platform is not the wine but the platform. To start a wine business that sells online, you need to build an alcohol delivery mobile app that exudes high-quality user experience and app features. To achieve such a feat, you need to get the best alcohol app development company as your technology partner.
You May Like: Low Cal Wines
Sell Vintage Wine Online
Vintage wine is a popular niche of the already booming wine industry. The definition of vintage wine is any wine of which grapes were grown, harvested, and fermented in a single year. Some vintage wines have grapes from different harvests, but most are from a single harvest.
Vintage wine generates hundreds of millions of dollars annually in the US with strong growth predicted. Because wine is generally considered better the older it is, this keeps the vintage wine market strong at all times.
Here are our recommended strategies for selling vintage wine online:
- Get active on collectorsâ forums. Wine is a bit of a collectorâs sport for many adults. Some enjoy buying vintage wine to eventually consume it others buy it to build their wine portfolio. There are many people who will consider your wine if they know youâre selling it.
- Look for organizations willing to buy it. Some companies purchase vintage wine to sell it at a profit later on. Conduct your own research to ensure that youâre getting maximum value for your wine.
- Stay persistent. Thereâs a buyer for just about everything in todayâs world if you know where to look. Marketplaces like eBay and Craigslist still offer the sale of wine. These sites are visited by millions of collectors and enthusiasts looking for their next amazing purchase.
Faster To Marketfaster To Pay
A Benchmark Cellar Team can be on your doorstep within 24 hours of contract completion, ready to catalog and pack your collection. We can take your cellar to market in just days no waiting for weeks or months until the next auction while you watch the wine market change on a daily basis. Savvy consignors can take advantage of fleeting market conditions and have a check in hand before the next available auction.
Don’t Miss: What Temperature Should Your Wine Fridge Be
Best Ways To Sell Your Wine
So what are the best ways to sell your wine online? We’ve already shown you the best places to buy wine online, but those aren’t the sites where you will be selling yours.
You may know that selling wine is not necessarily as easy as going on Craigslist or eBay. In fact, there are certain hoops you need to jump in order to do it legally. To find out more about how to sell wine and sales laws, keep reading.
How Can I Sell My Wine In Canada
As a Canadian wine collector Iron Gate Wine can assist you with three options to sell your private collection outside of Canada
- Sell your wine collection retail with Iron Gate Wines US sister company, IronGate.Wine
- Sell your wine privately to buyers in the US, Asia and around the world
- Auction your collection in Canada through Iron Gate Auctions Inc.
Don’t Miss: Red Wine Out Of White Shirt
How To Sell Homemade Wine Bizfluent
- While it’s possible to put homemade wine for sale online, you must obtain additional permits. Once you have a basic permit from the TBB and the retailer’s and winery licenses from your state, you need a shipper’s license for every state to which you plan to ship wine. You also need a Direct-to-Consumer license to ship out of state.
Top Ways To Sell Wine From Home
- In addition to selling individual wine bottles, Wine Shop at Home has a wine club, offering a two bottle option at $34.95 per month or a 4-bottle option at $64.95 per month, and customers can choose between red, white, or a mixture. Consultants can choose between three business kits, ranging in cost from $39.95 to $299.
You May Like: Best Wine On Keto
Write A Business Plan
A business plan is a comprehensive document that details and guides all of your core business activities. It prepares you for the multitude of business decisions youâll need to make and uncovers any weak spots that need to be addressed.
An eCommerce business plan is even more important to an online venture than an offline one. Youâll need to establish a clear and compelling roadmap for all of your business activities.
Your business plan should include the following:
- Business purpose and mission statement
- Products and/or services offered
- Sales plan and projected quarterly revenue
Selling Homemade Wine : Winemaking
- Those laws are the leftover craziness from Prohibition and Repeal, and making and selling wine is the most regulated consumer package good industry in the U.S. – more than tobacco or guns. It all boils down to paying taxes, as both the feds and the state want a cut of any sale of alcohol.
Don’t Miss: Kim Crawford Calories
How To Sell Wine At Auction
If youre looking to sell wine at an auction, you should research if a similar wine or collection has sold recently. This will give you insight into the current wine bottle price of your wine, and if theres enough interest. If you cant find a price history for your wine, you may still be able to sell it. Ultimately, that decision rests on the auction house.
Next, approach multiple respected auction houses to find the best value for your wine. They will provide you with an estimate based on your collection, vintage, and condition. Once youve chosen the auction house, they will take over from there. You can expect to pay a sellers fee of up to 18% when the sale is finalized.
The Backstory To Selling Wine From Canada
Having managed wine storage facilities in Canada since 2004, and working on private cellars across the country, we frequently get asked to assist collectors in sell some or all of their wine. Typical reasons include estate sales, health matters, divorce, debt, etc. Many people realize that their palate has changed since they started collecting and theyre long in California Cabernet, for example, a wine they no longer enjoy.
Iron Gate began by working with US auction houses in 2008 to send Canadian collections south for sale. We would manage all the logistics, inventory, etc. and see the sale through to the client receiving funds.
While many clients were pleased with the results, others preferred not to have the risk associated with auctions in a very competitive market like the US. For this reason we began to form relationships with retailers outside of Canada who would offer a fixed price for the wine which they then resold at their stores.
In 2015 with the help of a US partner we began to look at the possibility of opening a retail outlet in NY. The concept was simple. The wine would come to our facility in Toronto for inventory and photography. It would then ship to a facility in Buffalo, NY where is would be held until sold. Title would pass in the United States through our US retail liquor license and the seller would be paid in USD from our US corporation.
Recommended Reading: Stella Rosa Sweetest Wine
Three: Ask A Professional
You found a number. Thats great. But dont get excited or disappointed yet. Past sales, provenance and physical conditionfrom label to cork and everything in betweenare part of a bottles evaluation. If you think your bottle is worth at least $250, talk to a professional.
What matters most, says John Kapon, chairman of Acker Wines, is that the person who appraises the bottle understands the wine market, as well as pricing for specific producers and vintages.
Kapon estimates Acker, a retailer and auction house, has appraised 10 million bottles in the 20 years its held auctions. Like other big houses, it generally deals in quantity, or collections that range from 30 to 3,000 bottles. Single bottles it considered recently include a 2017 Roumier Echézeaux, a 2017 Screaming Eagle magnum and a 2006 Château Pontet-Canet magnum. The pricing of these bottles hasnt been made public.
Shaun Bishop, CEO of JJ Buckley Fine Wines, recalls a client who wished to sell a bottle of 1963 Quinta do Noval Port, worth about $250. After examination, Bishop says, it turned out the bottling was actually the much-rarer label called Quinta do Noval Nacional Port. Its value is around $3,500. The client was very happy.
An appraiser may determine a wines value based on questions like where it was bought, receipts from the sale and how its been stored, says Charles Antin, head of auction sales and auctioneer for Zachys Wine Auctions. And, of course, theyll want to inspect the wine.
What Happens After Your Buyer Bids
If you sell your wine via auction house or online marketplace, shipping is usually already included. The professional sellers already have contracts with shipping companiesyou simply supply the wine. However, if you decide to sell the wine on your own, youll need to consider a complex set of legal steps before your buyer can buy it. You must:
- Get a wine-selling license through your state
- Get approval from your state to ship wine to your buyers location
- Check that your buyers state allows wine shipments
- Contact a trustworthy shipping company
- Pack the wine according to the companys standards
- Send the wine to your buyer
In some cases, you might be denied a shipping license, which means you cant sell your wine at all. This is why the sales fees for auction houses or online marketplaces are often worth the extra cost. Heres what happens when you ship via an online marketplace:
The last step is the most important one for your buyers. A collector who spends thousands of dollars on a top-tier bottle of DRC wants to ensure that the bottle they are buying is authentic and reaches them safely. Selling your wine through other websites like eBay doesnt necessarily guarantee authenticity or a refund for heat damage. Experienced collectors prefer to shop with retailers who offer them shipping thats specifically designed with wine in mind.
Recommended Reading: Does White Wine Have Gluten