Bliss Family Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc
From Mendocino County comes this tasty Sauvignon Blanc. Lemon and lime, and a nice dose of acidity, will please your taste buds. It is a gentle and dry white wine. It is my style of Sauvignon Blanc. Its much like the Sauvignon Blanc styles of Sancerre and Bordeaux. It is much the opposite of the New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs that abound with grapefruit and gooseberry characteristics.
The Bliss is at Weimax Wines in Burlingame for $10.99. It is $14 at the Bliss Family Vineyards online wine shop. As far as I can find, Weimax is the only wine shop that sells the Bliss in Northern California. 89 Points for me. Pair it with seafood or any dish that improves with a squeeze of lemon or lime. Stop in at Weimax and enjoy one of the unique wine shops of the Bay Area.
Other GoodCheapVino topics to enjoy
- Bruschetta ideas enjoy one of these delicious appetizers
- How to enjoy Padron Peppers The Bliss S.B. will go nicely with dish of Padron Peppers
Lava Cap 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon
You now have FREE access to nearly 300,000 wine, beer and spirit reviews. Cheers!
This concentrated and complex wine is subdued at first sniff, showing subtle touches of oak and dark chocolate, but broadens and deepens on the palate. Flavors of cassis, mocha and baking spices combine to create a layered, lingering expression. Best after 2024. Jim Gordon
- Not rated yet
All tastings reported in the Buying Guide are performed blind. Typically, products are tasted in peer-group flights of from 5-8 samples. Reviewers may know general information about a flight to provide contextvintage, variety or appellationbut never the producer or retail price of any given selection. When possible, products considered flawed or uncustomary are retasted.
Ratings reflect what our editors felt about a particular product. Beyond the rating, we encourage you to read the accompanying tasting note to learn about a products special characteristics.
ClassicThe pinnacle of quality
Very GoodOften good value; well recommended
GoodSuitable for everyday consumption; often good value
- 14 of Our Favorite All-American Cabernet SauvignonsCabernet Sauvignon may be a French variety, but it’s found a home in the U.S. With plantings throughout the West Coast, here are 14 of our best Cab Sauvs.
How Much Does Instacart Delivery Or Pickup Cost
- Delivery fees start at $3.99 for same-day orders over $35. Fees vary for one-hour deliveries, club store deliveries, and deliveries under $35.
- Service fees vary and are subject to change based on factors like location and the number and types of items in your cart. Orders containing alcohol have a separate service fee.
- Tipping is optional but encouraged for delivery orders. It’s a great way to show your shopper appreciation and recognition for excellent service. 100% of your tip goes directly to the shopper who delivers your order.
- There may be a “pickup fee” on your pick up order that is typically $1.99 for non-Express members. Express membership waives this like it would a delivery fee.
- Pick up orders have no service fees, regardless of non-Express or Express membership.
Also Check: How To Make Glasses Out Of Wine Bottles
Anyone Know About Lava Cap
quote:Lava Cap is located in El Dorado County in the Sierra Foothills. They are arguably one of the most consistently good producers in the area
quote:Originally posted by Qweniden:They make wine in a ripe, concentrated and generously oaked manner that is always enjoyable right at release… I remember thinking the Merlot was good for an easy drinking rounded wine with some complexity. Nothing amazing but definatly drinkable… In general a great QPR winery.
Our Apple Hill Winery Story
Lava Cap is a family-owned winery in Placerville, California. The Jones family planted their first vines in 1981 and opened the winery in 1986 on a special site in the heart of the Sierra Foothills. The family of geologists specifically selected this location for its prime volcanic soil that is particularly well suited to growing fine wine grapes. They named their new business after this unique “lava cap,” where their grapes flourish in the volcanic soil, warmed by the foothill sunshine and cooled by gentle Sierra night breezes.
Beginning with the first vintage in 1986, Lava Cap wines continue to win a steady stream of gold medals and awards from across the country each year. Their winemaking philosophy is to express the elegant and complex varietal character from each block of the family’s vineyards.;The winemaker, Joe Norman,;handcrafts each wine using artisan production techniques to create wines with full flavor and depth. The vineyard manager, Charlie Jones,;uses sustainable vineyard practices and integrated vineyard management strategies, he strives to cultivate optimum quality fruit while protecting our environment and ensuring a healthy ecosystem.
The Jones family welcomes visitors each day to their tasting room. Discover the quality and consistency of their handcrafted wines in the beauty of a world-class wine region.
Also Check: How To Make A Pallet Wine Rack
We Are Sorry To Announce That Due To An Acute Staffing Shortage We Will Be Closed Saturday September 18th And Sunday September 19th We Will Return To Normal Tasting Room Hours On September 20th And Do Not Anticipate Additional Closures Thank You For Your Understanding And Support
Open 7 days a week,;from;10am-5pm!;
High in the Sierra Nevada Foothills of Northern California, the Jones family has been dedicated to the production of premium estate grown wines utilizing only mountain-grown grapes since 1986. The unique volcanic soil that the winery is named for and the mountainous topography are ideal for the creation of world-class wines. This spectacular environment with the high Sierras as a backdrop is a wonderful setting where we welcome you to sample the wines in our tasting room and enjoy a picnic in the gardens overlooking the vineyards.
- Hours of operation are 10-5pm daily, last seating is at 4:00pm. Gates close at 5:30pm. ;
- Walk-up;tastings and picnic use welcome.;;
- Reservations not required, but;if you would like to make one, please call the winery at .
- Reservations manditory for groups of 10;or more.
- Sit down wine tasting;will take place on our deck.
- All bottle purchases can be enjoyed on the lower patios, gardens and lawn area.;
- No outside food or animals allow on the deck;during tastings, but we welcome guests to use the picnic grounds with their furry friends and outside food.;
- Wine tasting cost is $15.00;per person, and complimentary for Lava Cap club members and their guests . Tasting fees are waived;with a bottle purchase.;
- Guests will be asked to maintain social distancing guidelines.;
- Lava Cap will perform cleaning and disinfecting protocols as required by the State of California.;
Down To Earth With: The Lava Cap Winery
Lava Cap Winery lies in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas near the site of California’s first Gold Rush strike. courtesy of Lava Cap Winery
Volcanic mudflow deposits of the Miocene-aged Mehrten Formation crop out in the vineyard. courtesy of Lava Cap Winery
Geologist David Jones started Lava Cap Winery with his wife Jeanne in the 1980s. courtesy of Lava Cap Winery
Thanks to its location and rich volcanic soils, Lava Cap Winery is able to make 12 different wines, but is best known for its zinfandel. courtesy of Lava Cap Winery
During a long career at the U.S. GeologicalSurvey; and the University of Californiaat Berkeley, paleontologist DavidJones, who died in 2007, made fundamental contributions to understandingthe geologic history of western North America, particularly theevolution of Californias puzzling Coast Ranges. One of Jones’ moresignificant contributions was a paper on the distribution of Buchia, aMesozoic mollusk, which provided critical age information and helpedclarify very complex structural relations in the Coast Ranges. But Davywas much more than a paleontologist, says colleague Eli Silver, ageophysicist at the University of California at SantaCruz who studies continental margin evolution.He was an outstanding stratigrapher and structural geologist, and afield geologist second to none. He really knew geology inside and out.
Don’t Miss: Can I Drink Red Wine With Gout
Wine: The New Sierran Gold
The winerys location in the foothills exposes the vines to cool eveningbreezes that keep the grapes small, concentrating their flavor andhelping produce wines that have received hundreds of awards over thepast 27 years. The higher elevations also produce lower daytimetemperatures, which are conducive to growing Bordeaux varietals likecabernet sauvignon, merlot and cabernet franc. Although Lava Capsbiggest seller is chardonnay, according to The Wine Bible by KarenMacNeil, the regions reputation rests solidly on its reds, and LavaCaps zinfandel is one of the best in a crowded field of terrificfoothill zins.
The foothills wine industry began shortly after immigrants, particularlyItalians, brought vines with them when they arrived following the goldstrikes. According to MacNeil, by the 1860s the gold counties were hometo almost 200,000 vines. However, declining populations in the decadesthat followed, accompanied by the double whammy of an infestation of theroot louse Phylloxera and the adoption of Prohibition, decimated theindustry. A half century passed before small family vineyards once againbegan to take root in the region. Today, 40 mostly family-run winerieshave planted more than 1,400 hectares of vines.
El Dorado County Wineries: Lava Cap Winery
Lava Cap Winery is located in El Dorado County in the Sierra-Nevada foothills, about an hour east of Sacramento. Volcanic eruptions from now extinct volcanoes coated this area in lava, much of which has disappeared through erosion. During the California Gold Rush era, miners found the richest gold-bearing gravels were under a thick layer of volcanic rock which they named lava cap.
After the gold rush, a pear ranch was started in the 1860s and ended up being one of the highest productivity rates for pears in all of California. Geologist and UC Berkeley professor, David Jones, bought the land in the 1970s and after testing and research, found the soil underneath the ranch consisted of volcanic rock, possibly what suited it well for growing fruit.
The soil in this region has definitely given Lava Cap Winery a distinctive edge on bold flavors and intense aromas. I was introduced to their Sangiovese a couple of years ago and fell in love with it. Shortly thereafter, I paid a visit to the winery to check out their other wines and look into the wine club. I tried every wine on their tasting and reserve menus and thoroughly enjoyed each of them, which is saying a lot since I tried 16 different wines that day! ;
El Dorado County wineries are truly hidden gems and Lava Cap is definitely one to check out!
Also Check: Does Aldi Sell Wine On Sunday
What Happens If Lava Cap Winery California Reserve Zinfandel Is Out Of Stock And I Need To Give Specific Instructions
- Find Best Match: By default, your shopper will use their best judgement to pick a replacement for your item.
- Pick Specific Replacement: You can pick a specific alternative for the shopper to purchase if your first choice is out-of-stock.
- Don’t Replace: For items you’d rather not replace, choose “Don’t replace” to get a refund if the item is out of stock.